Monday, December 26, 2011

Gluten-Free yummies!

I'm thinking I may need to go gluten-free.  Gluten issues run in my family (Hi Dad!) and when I mean run, I mean.. um, well anyway.

My mom has a wheat allergy, most of us (including my parents, sibling, husband, 3 out of 4 of my kiddos, and myself) have problems with dairy, my husband's jaw locks up when he has agave (so, no tequila babe), and my stomach cannot handle lots of meat. My sons go ADHD-crazy when food-dye gets into their systems (but M&Ms are so tasty!) and too much black pepper causes problems for my husband (I'll spare you the details).

So, needless to say, we're no stranger to food allergies and sensitivities. That being said, we often indulge in the things that irritate our bodies the most because we're ridiculous like that.  Time after time, with my stomach in knots and guts gurgling, I tell myself, "You've got to stop eating that junk," but it's difficult, isn't it?

We go through phases.  We will eat super-duper healthy (even raw vegan) for a time, and then something will happen that knocks us out of the routine and we're allowing more and more "cheats" and indulgences. I personally like to blame the pregnancy for the extreme chocolate cravings, but before long, I'm going to have to blame post partum, and then what?

Anyway, my husband and I are headed to Louisiana later in the week where the term "health food" is fairly non-existent.  I tell you, I am never more motivated to change my diet than when I leave my mother-in-laws.  I love her Cajun cooking, but poo-yi* it slays me.  (*Cajun slang, which is all the more appropriate because it contains the word POO.)

The other day I confessed to my friend (who is also my midwife) and my husband, "I'm pretty sure I need to go gluten-free."  My friend has been GF for a couple months now, and my husband has been on and off the GF boat over the years (usually just as a cleanse, though).  My husband agreed, "When we get back from my Mom's, we definitely need to get back to eating healthy."

*Nod*

So, here's a few recipes I wanted to share (mostly so I have a record to return to when I need some inspiration) of GF recipes around the web.


Cinnamon baked apples are one of my favorite desserts, but I haven't had them in ages. It's one of those desserts you can feel good about. (Thanks Wheatless and Meatless for the reminder!)

These Cornmeal Dinner Rolls from Gluten Free on a Shoestring would be perfect as buns for burgers, hot dogs, or sandwiches. (Mmmmmmmm....)

One of our family's favorite meals is Eggplant Parmesan. GF on a Shoestring has a great recipe for GF baked Eggplant Parm!

This recipe for Chili Almond Asparagus from Vegan Yum Yum sounds delicious, although I would replace the powdered soup "seasoning" she uses with real (GF) seasonings.

I like rice dishes, and this recipe for Vegan Paella sounds delish.  Who's with me?

Oh hi yum, I would love to eat this Spring Potato Salad with a big ol' bowl of GF gumbo.

Speaking of potatoes, I could totally get my sweet potato with this great Sweet Potato Pone recipe from The Gluten-Free Homemaker.  Oh man, I've got to do that ASAP!

No comments:

Post a Comment