Thursday, December 1, 2011

Cloth diapering: Inexpensive wool covers

Our family is in the process of switching over to wool cloth diaper covers and natural fiber fitted diapers since we have been having a lot of trouble with microfiber, PUL, and the like (and, quite frankly, doing all that diaper stripping and such is tiring).

When I started cloth diapering Evie, I had a stash of one-size pocket diapers leftover from Keagan, but I wanted to look at all my options. We started out with flatfolds and Bummis covers because I didn't think I could afford wool (and I wasn't sure I was up for caring for wool- I didn't know how easy it was!).

Maybe some of you are interested in easy, care-free cloth diapering and would really like to try out wool covers but are stunned by the pricing.   Many hand-knit wool soakers are between $30-50 which seems like a huge price to pay for a cover.

However, it's important to understand that you can get by with just a few wool soakers since they do not have to be washed after each use unless they have poo on them. If they haven't been soiled, you can continue to reuse them for a week or two (I have some friends who wash them every 3-4 weeks!), doing a simple lanolizing soak. You can read more about that here in my post on MandyMom.com titled: Fleece tips, Wool, & How to make your own wool wash.

Therefore, one wool soaker (cover) can outdo and outlast fleece and PUL covers (including pocket diapers), as they do not have to be washed nearly as often, and therefore you can have fewer wool covers than you would of fleece or PUL.  Wool also is a great "back-up", as it can hold up to 40% of it's weight in liquid, so if your diaper leaks, the wool soaker will save the day.

So, in the grand scheme of things, $30-50 for one wool cover really isn't a huge cost, since it will replace at least 3-5 of your other covers. BUT, for those of us who are frugal minded, seeing such a huge price tag attached to such a small booty cover, it can be difficult to make such a purchase.

Which is where sites like Esty come in handy.  You see, I do have sewing talent and have sewn some of my own wool covers, but I still have to shell out at least $5 for a wool sweater from the thrift store.  So, when I see a beautiful upcycled wool cover for only $10-12, I think it's a pretty darn good deal.

When you're just testing the waters of cloth diapering, you probably don't feel it's wise to invest a huge chunk of money in a cover you aren't sure you'll even like! Take my advice and look into these Etsy sellers who have a beautiful array of wool covers for a great price.

I just bought my first not-made-by-me wool shorties from LauraBlossom.  I'm waiting for them to come in.... and am very eager to put them to use! She seems like a very sweet person.  She had a great sale going on CyberMonday, but when I checked out, the code didn't work.  However, the shorties were so cute (and still a great price), I decided to go ahead and purchase them anyway. I left her a note that the sale code didn't work, and she refunded the 20% discount to me!  She also has other deals and discounts, which is a great way to catch this gal's eye and consumership! I'll keep you posted on the quality of her products. She has positive feedback, so I'm pretty sure I'll like what I purchased!

Gramma Tuck has a beautiful assortment of wool shorties, longies, and even skirties.
Celia Screams makes lovely hand-knitted (crocheted?) soakers... and they are incredibly priced. Her small soakers go for $10!
JoyfulGirlDesign makes upcycled wool longies and more- and even sells "Seconds" at a great price. (Seconds are products that have slight imperfections but are still functional.)
Nana's Knickers knickers are wonderfully priced and absolutely adorable! Her soakers remind me of the old vintage style I've seen in photos from long ago!

So, now you need a cloth diaper to cover up!  One of my favorite Esty gals is Tiffany.  When Evangeline was a baby, she sent me one of her beautiful creations to test out and review. You can bet I'll be using it when little Molly Jo makes her entrance!  Check out Tiffany's shop, True Baby Designs.  (You will need to pin her fitted diapers, or use a Snappi.)



Aw, look how small my Evangeline Rose was!

If you're handy with a sewing machine, you could even make your own fitted cloth diapers.  I prefer cotton flannel, and usually sew in at least 6 layers for a newborn and 8-10 for an older baby. (Helps to make a set-in soaker, or one that is only sewn on in the back so that it dries quicker after washing.)  Here are a few of my own early creations:




Oh, and I wanted to add- if you are looking for a great insert to give you more absorbency, try out my friend's awesome bamboo soakers over at Cotton Cheeks!  It may seem pricy at $6, but these are my favorite, favorite inserts/soakers.  I promise, I use these regularly! (I actually should buy more!)

No comments:

Post a Comment